Cheat XCP (Xen Cloud Platform)


I been spending perhaps way to much time getting to learn the Xen Cloud Platform over the last couple of weeks. I have been beating my brains the last couple of nights trying to figure out why certain features were not showing in XenCenter client. Why does XenCenter report that the license is going to expire in 30 days (even though XCP is FOSS). After a prolong search I came across mailing list with the answers I seek. Basically XenCenter treats XCP as a really old version of XenServer, even though XCP is based on XenServer 5.6 FP1. To get around this just do the following:
Create a new file in /etc/xensource/ and name it xapi_version_override
In this file place this value of 5.6.199 in it.
Now just restart XCP and next time you bring up XenCenter it will see XCP as 5.6.199. As for licensing, you can apparently apply the free license to XCP if you desire to. But in the end it is a none issue none functionality will be going away.

Post a Comment